Sunday, May 5, 2013

May 5, 2013 – Day 34 – Debunking a Myth!


May 5, 2013 – Day 34 – Debunking a Myth!

It is a complete falsehood that Americans are fatter than Europeans because their portions are out of control.  Please note the picture of what we were served for lunch today.  Granted – it was lunch for two, but definitely more than two normal people needed. It was delicious – house made bratwurst with fried potatoes, sauerkraut, salad, and more Kolsch beer.  When I get back to talking about Amsterdam, check out the picture of the Dutch pancake and you’ll see more of what I mean.  By the way, I think we are fatter because we don’t walk or ride bikes everywhere like the Europeans do.  Bill and I will have trouble getting in car when we get home.

Today we didn’t do much – it was a lazy day in Cologne – at our ages, we have to pace ourselves or they would be sending us home in a box.  We walked to the Hauptbahnhof (main train station) to check out trains to Koblenz for tomorrow.  We are going there to get on a KD boat for what we hear will be a memorable cruise along the River Rhine.  We will stay the night at the Gasthaus Rose in Rudesheim and then head for Heidelberg.  We will be using a Eurail pass for the first time for all of this including the River Cruise.  We didn’t know that we had to have the pass validated with our passports in order to use it, so we’re glad we walked to the station to find out.  Then we walked down to the River for the huge lunch we showed you.  As I am typing this, the bells of the Cologne Cathedral are ringing; a few minutes ago, a street musician was playing “My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean” on a flute.  That song brings me many memories: my Mom used to sing it to me when I was little and it was played at her funeral.  My Mom and Dad are responsible for this trip for us - thanks.    I think I’ll close down this little blog and do some backtracking.  My friend Cathy True Nyberg wanted to see the flowers of Amsterdam so I think I will return there before taking you back to Paris and Normandy and then through Brussels and Brugge.


No comments:

Post a Comment